Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Orphanage Day #1

Today I got to go the three hands orphanage just a few minutes from my guest house. The orphanage is run by a lady named Gertrude who owned the guest house I was originally going to stay in but it collapsed in the earthquake. In the morning I met Fanfan who is essentially going to be my guide for a while. We took a taptap which I guess could be described as a small very colourfully painted bus. First of all it doesn't even stop you just wave it down and jump into the back well its moving if you don't get in then you don't get in. Once we made it to the orphanage I got shown around and then I just started playing with the kids. The first kid I met was Wolton who I coloured with for a long time. Then I met another girl whos name I don't know as she was mute. The orphanage has some kids with special needs. The kids were very cute and all wanted to hold your hand. Later in the day at lunch time I got to feed a little girl that had down's syndrome she was very cute and loved making faces at me and making me clap my hands. After that I found Wolton again and we played some more then he had a nap on me. At play time we got to draw in colouring books and we got use the stickers that I got from Mabel's labels. It was a really fun day. After that I took a motorcycle with me Fanfan and the driver... yes 3 people on an unpaved road weaving in and out of traffic it was fun! The rest of the day I hung out at the guest house. The orphanage was really fun they have so many kids and not enough people working but they take very good care of the kids they all get fed but you could tell they need someone to hold them and play with them. I brought bag of donations for them and we got to play with all the pencil crayons and stickers. Overall it was a very fun day, and I'm excited to go back!



1 comment:

  1. Alex-we missed you by a few days! Gertrude's place is amazing, you're right. Have a great rest of your time in Ayiti--you will be leaving your heart there.

    ReplyDelete