Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Earthquake

Its 8 in the morning and I'm just waiting to leave and so I thought I would make a post about the earthquake. Fanfan told me his story a few days ago and so I'll try to say it from his point of view. Here it goes:


I was getting a ride to church in the taptap it was the morning. As we were driving along the driver began to swerve back and forth all over the road. At first I though his brake was no longer working and he was trying to stop. Then all of a sudden he came to a quick stop on the side of the road. At that time it felt like as if God picked up Haiti and dropped it back to the ground. I ran out of the taptap and everyone was walking around as if they were drunk. All you could here was rumbling everywhere. It was like Haiti was an elastic band, someone had stretched it very long and then cut it in half. No body could walk straight and buildings were crumbling to the ground. I looked up and the sky was gone, there was no sun there was no blue all you could see was grey dust. Many people thought this was the end of the world, the sky was gone buildings were toppling over and people were dying. It was a very frustrating time for me, I didn't know what to do. After I went to the church and it was completely collapsed, If I had gotten there I would be dead. I returned to my home and the room where I stay was flattened if I was there too I would have been dead. My family was okay but my room was destroyed. I feel very lucky that I was in that taptap at that time if I had been where I was supposed to be I would be dead. On that day every Haitian suddenly became a Christian they all believed it was the end of the world and that they had better believe in god. This was a very frustrating day for me...

Fanfan's story is incredible, the way he described it was very unique and the details he could remember was incredible. Fanfan is very lucky to be alive today it kind of makes you realize how lucky we are to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment