Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Heartline Day 2


I never knew how much music can get people happy! Today at the clinic in the morning we got some music going outside. All of a sudden after a few songs everyone was standing up everyone was dancing and everyone was laughing. After what all of these patients have gone through, from losing there whole family to having the leg crushed under their own house it is amazing to see that music can still put a smile on their face! Antoinette lost just below her knee on her right leg, she got a prosthetic leg and is working really hard to get used to it. Today when the music started playing she stood up walked over to a bench and threw away her crutches and started dancing. It was amazing! She is doing so well just last week when I was here she could only put 20lbs of body weight on her prosthetic leg, and today she got up to 60! She is doing so so well! It was David the PT's last day today and everyone was very sad he was leaving he has done such an amazing job with all of the patients, in just over a week he has had patients walk for the first time since the earthquake!

After the music and dancing and singing we took a little break and watched a movie, it was some kind of Haitian comedy, as far as I know and I had no idea what was going on. While we watched the movie I worked with a lady that had to have surgery on her foot and had her left arm amputated below the elbow. I just gave her a massage as she has a lot of scar tissue that is still sensitive and it needs to be touched and have pressure on it in order to bring down the sensitivity. Then I had her do a little boxing on my hand with her amputated arm which helped also to lower the sensitivity on the scar tissue on her arm. After that we did some walking on the stairs and I got her to jog! Only about 4 steps but she was very excited! It was a very fun day and I loved working with everyone, David taught me a a lot of stuff before he left and I will never be able to do what he was doing but I will try my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment